Thursday, September 2, 2010

How to Come up in a Recession #134: Sign up for Student Loans!


     Its amazing! I just got of the phone with my girl, who's a psychology major at a local community college, and she just starting talking to me about noticing how much more packed college classes are now opposed to 1 yr ago...which then led me to think about this older woman I work with who's 52, a single parent of one, and who's currently finishing up her bachelors program with UOP (University of Phoenix) and over hearing her one day talking about how from her bachelors program she's going to jump straight into a masters program and then dive right back in for her doctorate, to say the least, just to avoid paying back her student loans.

     Now at the time, my thought was "listen to this goofy ass ole lady and her washed up antics", and of coarse the fact that her daughter is almost 18 and the reality is beginning to set in that she wont be able to live off of her daughters child support anymore; none the less, I just began to witness how the cultural landscape of higher education right before my eyes was beginning to shift from excellence and professionalism in order to thrive in corporate america to a come up and supplemental income scheme. Essentially, people just staying in school just to use student loans to finance a way of living or people continuing education just to avoid the everyday realities of life - that's like staying employed w/ the cable company just to get free a cable (LOL).

     Now of coarse my perspective is always gonna be a little different being I've already got my plaques on the wall and believe in the sacrifices I've made to get em  but I guess it just seems more like an antic rather then a hustle or grind because all you are doing in digging yaself in a sea of depth rather then utilizing a real strategy of seeking out and taking advantage of tuition reimbursement programs, grants, scholarships, maybe even getting part time job...fuck it, I even went into the military for 4 yrs just to get my 50 grand for college so that's why although I can understand why some people will entertain the need to sit at the table, maybe they really just don't know how to play the best hand with what they've got.  Personally I just think we are nation of screamers and live in a day and age where you can barely distinguish the actions of someone older from that of the youth. And even more so the real unfortunate consequence of it all is that 95% of the people who are trying to play the student loan game, their inspiration, motivation, and thirst for prominence doesn't even match their ambitions to get paid so ultimately only a fraction of those people will even be able to go out and demand the income that they'll need to pay back all that bullshit.

Think conscious and stay up! -Amtrax

No comments:

Post a Comment