Friday, April 1, 2011

The Gift/Curse of Physical Perception....


If there's any one thing that I've learned about people over the last couple of years, it's that perception is everything. If you look like a dirt-bag, then the world is going to deal you a dirt-bags hand until you show it something different or make an impact thats going to change your perception. If a person seems to have a lot of muscles, then the world is going to think they are a little stronger until it discovers how weak they really are. So sometimes I often wonder how many people truly understand the value of perceptions or at best over stand them and use perceptions to their advantage...case in point, the person that blew my mind this past weekend the lovely miss Janelle Monae!




Now I'm not sure if my genetics are wired backwards or if it's just the gift and the curse of physical appearance and the perception of beauty, but it just so happen a couple of days ago I just so happened to be digging for some images online for another project that I contribute to and I stumbled upon this picture <----- of Janelle Monae, which I'm guessing is either a previous album cover or an album insert photo, but the point is.....I couldn't believe my eyes how beautiful this lady is...like to me we are talking about superstar status right there!...but anyway I guess it caught me of guard because its a look that I ain't ever seen before, didn't even realize it was her at first, and to be quite honest based on her most recent look, didn't even know existed.

So the next thing I know I found myself sitting here with this strange dilemma late night tripping about how apparently beautiful she is, was, or whatever....thinking to myself - damn if I ever passed by a shorty who looked like this in the street no matter what I would be doing my whole thought process would just stop for minute just to take in how fly she was, like even if I was carrying some groceries to the car or something then they might just end up on the ground at that point...

But then on the other hand, you've got this sh!t -----> which is the image that I've always known and been familiar with.....I call it the "Raisin in the Sun, Sunbeam, St. George's Bay Bridge Tunnel" hairdo which completely &^%$ everything up and leaves me a little confused not being able to understand how things can go from so right to so wrong! I mean not that I'ma hater but I guess its considered to be "artistic expression" or something? I guess...

So I guess what my real point is, is that perception is just about everything considering that on one hand based on the image at the top I wouldn't be able to take my eyes off of her but then on the other with carrying the image of the vintage Betty Bop joint, I wouldn't even think twice about looking past her in a heartbeat. So maybe the true gift and the curse for men as it relates to women is, especially black women because their range is so unlimited unlike many other races, I guess a man just has to catch a woman at the right time and that "right time" may not necessarily be what she considers to be the right time for her, but what men would to consider to be the right time for them as it relates to their preferences (big , fat, skinny, tall, whatever). Yet all the while considering that the true cluster f*ck of it all are that womens looks are constantly changing, just as mens preferences are evolving and vice versa....now ain't that a b!itch! But either way,  all I do is win anyway so...

-3000

No comments:

Post a Comment